In January of 1838 Rev. Jacob Creath, JR. came to Hannibal and began preaching in an old log cabin with no fireplace. Later they moved into a little brick school house that stood at 609 Center St. It wasn't until 1848 that they purchased land and built their own building complete with such comforts as wooden benches, coal-oil lamps and a wood stove.
In 1878 the congregation purchased land to build a new church on the corner of Church and Fifth streets, where the public library now stands. Within just twelve short years the church grew to a membership of over 600 people and was in need of a new facility. They were able to purchase the land upon which the church currently sets in June 1889. A year later the new sanctuary was dedicated.
From 1838 to today First Christian Church has seen many changes. These changes have ranged from changes in ministers, ministries, locations of the church, style of music and of course the comings and goings of hundreds of member. One thing through all this time that has stayed the same though, is the church's commitment to being a voice for Christ in Hannibal and the surrounding area.